You have to leave room in life to Dream.
~Buffy Sainte-Marie

Friday, October 1, 2010

Reclaiming My Voice

From the very beginning, I have sang to Adelyn while feeding her. Not at all feedings, but at least two per day. The songs would range from Broadway hits, to the Oldies, to children songs to hymns. It was a way to pass the time, but also I think another way to bond. Then one day I stopped singing. My excuse was that we were at a lake cabin with friends and I was embarrassed to be overheard. So, I picked up my phone and used that to pass the time instead. I read emails, checked in on FaceBook, played games, you name it. After leaving the lake, that habit stayed. I looked forward to doing all those things while feeding Adelyn. Then this week, I realized that I hadn't been singing to my daughter for weeks! And this made me very sad. Instead of using the feedings to bond with her, I was bonding with my phone. I decided that this has got to stop.

So, I am working on kicking the phone habit. I told Ben about my conviction so that he could help keep me accountable. I have started to leave my phone other places so I won't be tempted to use it. And I am working on remembering all the songs I used to sing to her.

I love that I'm back to singing. I think Adelyn likes it too because sometimes she hums along while she eats. These are precious moments that I am trying to not take advantage of because all too soon they will be over. I'm just thankful I realized what was happening before it was too late.

No comments: