You have to leave room in life to Dream.
~Buffy Sainte-Marie

Monday, July 4, 2011

The Big Day

Continued from last post

I was able to sleep for a little bit. I think maybe about two hours. Ben was able to sleep for a bit too. I woke up really feeling like I needed to use the restroom. When the nurse came in to check on me I told her this. She told me that no, I didn't have to use the bathroom. That was just the baby putting pressure on my nerve as she moved into the birth canal.

It wasn't long after that the nurse had me do some practice pushes. She let the doctor know that I was close. Dr. Paulson had just been woken up to help with another delivery. Our nurse (feel so bad that I don't remember her name!) thought she might have seen something in the "water" that might be a bowl movement from the baby. Just in case, she got a couple of nurses in to stand by in case our baby needed to be suctioned.

When everyone was set (except the doctor) I got to push some more. It's true what others had told me - it felt good to push. The nurse said I was a great pusher. She even said that next time I was delivering they should record it. Not sure how I would feel about others seeing me like that, but it did make me feel good.

The doctor got in the room. She took her spot. It was only a few set of pushes later that our baby girl was born! (Total of 45 minutes of pushing). It hurt like heck. I tore a lot. But our baby was perfect! Her head was even round and "normal" shaped. After the cord was cut (by the dr. because both Ben and I were grossed out about it), I got to hold her. She was so precious! I had her laying on my chest. I felt something cool against me. I thought it was a leg coming out of the blankets. I reached in to pull the blanket around her to discover that it wasn't a cold limb, but poop! The nurse and Ben were laughing at me. But they cleaned me up and got new blankets for our baby. Then I had to hand her off to get measured. And I got to get stitched up. During delivery and stitching, I feel in love with my doctor. She was exactly what I needed.

Proud grandparents (both sets) were the first to arrive. Unfortunately, my new nurse shooed them out right away because she wanted me to take a bath before I moved to my new room. So, they went out to breakfast while I got a bath and moved to another room.

The next 24 hours flew by with other visitors and constant visits from nurses. I was so tired. And we didn't have a name yet. We went into the hospital with 3 names. We still were undecided after she was born. Finally on Sunday we got some quiet time and we went through the names again. After we decided on one, we realized we didn't have a middle name. More discussions. Finally, we decided on a name - Adelyn Elise (meaning Noble, Consecrated to God).

No comments: