You have to leave room in life to Dream.
~Buffy Sainte-Marie

Thursday, August 22, 2013

On the Road to Nevada Part II

We made it!

A quick Adelyn story: While we were on our hike at Arches National Park, Adelyn was walking ahead of me with Ben. She said that she needed to talk to mom, so she came back to walk with me. She said, "Mom, I want to get a tattoo." "Oh? Of what?" I asked. "Um. A purple flower on my tummy. Did we bring my paints so I can get a tattoo?" Ben and I had a good chuckle at this exchange. As did some people who were walking by.

Here's more of our journey.

Monday we had a low-key morning while Ben worked for a bit. Then we met up with our friends again for lunch. After lunch we headed to their place. They live on top of one of the mountains near Denver. Such a pretty view! From there we went straight to Lucky Pie Pizza to meet up with some other friends. We didn't go for their pizza. But their short ribs were very yummy. Right next door was an ice cream place, Sweet Cow. Both places were connected outside with a little park like area. It was astroturf with benches, flowers and gardens. Perfect for the kids to run around while the adults continued chatting. It was a very fun night. I was sad when it was time to say goodbye. After that, Ben brought the kids and I back to the hotel. We were beat. He went off for one final visit. I was sad that I didn't go see Jeff and Beth, but I did appreciate the little extra sleep I got.

Tuesday we went for a swim at the hotel pool. After that we packed up and headed to Grand Junction, CO. I'm not sure what I was expecting, but the drive was amazing. So many pretty colors. Strange rock formations. Mountains. Truly breathtaking. We got to Grand Junction and tried out Il Bistro Italiano for dinner. Our favorite was the mushroom pizza, although, I thought the pesto gnocchi was good too. We brought home a piece of fresh peach pie and chocolate cream pie for dessert. YUM.

We decided to take out our stop in Utah. We didn't hear back from the people in Eden, so we didn't know if we had a place to stay. And our friends there were out of town. So, we decided to skip that part and plow through to Las Vegas. So Wednesday we packed it up and hit the road. Once again the route was beautiful. Just when you thought that we were leaving the mountains, some more were there. We decided to take a detour to Arches National Park. It was nice that the road got you pretty close to a lot of the sites there. We did do a short little hike. The kids did great considering the heat and distance (maybe a mile) that we went. It would be a lot of fun to go back and spend more time there and do some more exploring. In a few years, I know the kids will love it. From there it was just a lot more driving. We got into Vegas around 10.

I did forget to add to the packing list that we brought one of our juicers. Today Ben and I decided to get back on the healthy bandwagon. We had mean green juice for lunch. My body was very excited to have some real food.

Now we just need to figure out where we are going to call home.

No comments: