You have to leave room in life to Dream.
~Buffy Sainte-Marie

Monday, March 14, 2011

St. Paul Adventure

Last Thursday, Adelyn and I made our way to St. Paul to go to a Chile exhibit with some moms and babies. We got there about 10 minutes before we were supposed to meet them, which was perfect because we had to park and get there. Well, I didn't realize that the boys hockey tournaments were going on. Parking was a mess! Every lot that I know of and passed by were full. Some lots were closed to event parking. I drove around for about 40 minutes before I found something. Luckily, it wasn't that far away from where I needed to be, and I could use the skyway system for most of the journey. I got Adelyn in her carrier and away we went!

Our destination was the Landmark Center. We quickly made our way through the skyway. I stopped to look at a map and a very nice lady stopped and asked if I needed help. She said that the Landmark Center wasn't connected by skyway, but if I go back to the building I just came through, go down to street level, it would just be across the street. Perfect! So, down four flights of stairs we went. When we got into the parking garage on street level, I realized that I no longer had Adelyn's blanket draped over my bag. Oops. So, back up four flight of stairs and retracing our steps through the skyway. Luckily, we didn't have to go too far to find it. Phew. Back down four flights of stairs...

By now it's about a quarter to two. I haven't been able to get a hold of the gal that organized the event, so I have no idea if there is anyone waiting for me. I stopped by the information desk to ask where the exhibit is and if they know of other people looking for people. Turns out, the exhibit wasn't there anymore! And no, they didn't know of anyone else looking for people. Hm. So I asked what else there was to do in the building. Turns out a lot! It was so cool! On the second floor there was a music museum. We made our way there and - ta da! met up with Jen! She had just gotten there too due to parking. So, we made our way through the floor. It was pretty cool. I learned a little about the evolution of the piano. Then Jen had to go. Since Adelyn and I didn't have anywhere to be, and that we worked so hard to get parking, we stayed. I'm glad we did! Outside some of the rooms on the various floors, there were posters telling about what used to be there and some other history things about Minnesota. I thought it was super cool. (For instance, I learned that it was after FBI agents were shot at a bunch that in 1933 they were allowed to carry handguns). In our wanderings, a lady stopped by to smile at Adelyn. She told us about the old court room that was on the fourth floor. So we stopped by that. It was so neat! I loved the woodwork and the marble fireplace. We stopped by her office when we were done to thank her and she invited us back for the free concerts they have every week. I think we might take her up on that!

The day wasn't anything like I was expecting, but I am very happy with how it turned out. I really had a good time (after the stress of parking was over, that is!).

No comments: