You have to leave room in life to Dream.
~Buffy Sainte-Marie

Monday, July 21, 2014

Gone

This past Father's Day the plan was to meet my parents, brother and Katie to go bowling followed by dinner. The kids were both so tired that we had them take a nap before the festivities. They were still sleeping when it was time for us to go. I was about to text my brother to let him know we were running late when he texted me saying that Gram wasn't doing too well. They were going to stop by the rehab center on the way to go bowling.

Doug, Jane, Leah, mom, dad and Jacob were all there. They couldn't wake her up at all. Her breathing was labored. She would take a breath and wouldn't exhale for a few moments. Then she took her last breath.

Needless to say, Father's Day wasn't what any of us were expecting. We decided to pick up dinner and eat in the privacy of my parent's house.

My last conversation with my grandma wentsomething like this:
Gram: How are your beautiful children?
Me: They're great. They must get their looks from the Obert side of the family.
Gram: [blank look]
Me: I mean Bridenbaugh (her maiden name).
Gram Yes. That's more like it.

Even with her difficulty breathing, lack of energy, etc. she still was able to show off her feisty wit. I miss her so much.


No comments: