You have to leave room in life to Dream.
~Buffy Sainte-Marie

Friday, March 13, 2015

A Penny Runs Through

The other night we were just finishing up getting the kids to bed when Odin started crying. He does this from time to time when he is really tired. Ben called up from downstairs to go to sleep. Once I had Genevieve down, I went to see what the hysteria was about. It took a bit to understand him as he was crying so hard but I quickly discovered the problem - he swallowed a penny! I yelled down to Ben who quickly started to Google what we were supposed to do as I worked on calming him down. Based on Ben's research, we were supposed to let well enough alone. If he experienced any pain or discomfort, then bring him in as the coin could get lodged working itself out, or the dissolving metal could cause issues too.

Throughout the night I checked in on him to make sure he was still ok. In the morning he woke up throwing up. A few days prior Adelyn had a stomach bug, so I wasn't sure if it was the bug or penny. We decided to see how he did. I know his stomach was bothering him because he kept wanting to go to the bathroom to get sick, but nothing happened. After a few hours he was back to eating and running around.

This is a time that I am thankful that my children are so regular. And in this case, that Odin is still in diapers. Made checking things out easier. Anyway, turns out that he can pass a penny without too much problem. And in case you were curious, the penny stays pretty well intact. But no, we didn't keep it.

No comments: