You have to leave room in life to Dream.
~Buffy Sainte-Marie

Monday, September 29, 2008

Big Girl

When we adopted Zoey, she was kennel trained. So we bought her a kennel. She has lived in a kennel while we have been at work or away every day since then. We have talked off and on about giving her the run of the house, but we have heard and read that dogs are used to routines and if you mess with it, they have the tendency to wreck havoc. So, she has remained in the kennel. I used to feel guilty, but on days when we are home you can often find her in the kennel, so obviously she doesn't mind. Until last Thursday.

I was the first one home and went downstairs to let her out. I heard the usual thump-thump of her tail against the plastic sides. When I rounded the corner, I stopped. She had somehow managed to rotate the kennel so I was looking at the back, not the side. And here, in the back she had chewed a gigantic hole! In one day! When Ben got home we discussed our options. We decided to let her have a little freedom to see how she does.

We moved her kennel and one of her beds along with some toys into our mud room. We put away all of our shoes and any other "temptations." When we left for work we locked her in there. When I got home from work, she was happy to see me (as always) and everything looked fine (we were concerned that she would scratch up the doors). So for now, she has her own little room for while we are away.

Changing subjects... Yesterday I was looking for a good-for-you soup that would use ingredients that I had on hand. I came up with this one: Jacob's Middle Eastern Lentil Soup. I doubled the recipe, added 1 pound of cooked ground beef and omitted the lemon juice. It was pretty tasty! Although, we both had to sprinkle some salt on top.

1 comment:

Sara said...

I wondered if the move would cause her to be upset. I'm glad that this is the worst it's gotten.