You have to leave room in life to Dream.
~Buffy Sainte-Marie

Monday, April 20, 2009

Flat Tire

On Friday I started my journey to Mumbai, India. There were 7 of us that were on the same plane to Atlanta. It was kind of funny to look around first class and realize that GMI employees took up more than half of the section. (Don't worry - we were from different groups so we were within GMI's travel policy about number of people on one plane). When the flight attendant took drink orders, I ordered a Mojito. Heather had to help me convince her that I was of legal age. We had a good laugh.

Upon reaching Atlanta we had some time to burn, so we went to the Delta Lounge. I ordered a beer at the bar. The guy looked at me and then said he wouldn't give it to me without ID. So, got my ID to retrieve my beer. He admitted that he thought I was 23. I pointed out that 23 is greater than 21. (I'm so smart!).

Then we got to board the plane - a 777-200LR. Doesn't mean a whole lot to me, but the seats would go to a flat 180 degrees for sleeping. They were pretty sweet. All of us were so junior high-ish - we all took pics of us in our seats (with Champagne, of course). Then we settled in for take off. After sitting around for a while (I hadn't really noticed) the pilot came on saying they were having some issues with the little thing that pulls the plane toward the runway. Apparently they couldn't disconnect us. After trying for a bit, they were able to, but the tire was damaged. So... back to the gate. They then decided they couldn't fix it for us. We got off the plane, got a $7 food voucher (only to find nothing open - except for Ben and Jerry's!!!) and waited for about 6 hours to get a new plane and a new set of crews. Instead of getting in at 9:30 pm, we landed around 4 am. But the flight was fine.

I do have to say that the first flight crew was very nice. I was sad they couldn't make the flight. And so were they. Many of them had made travel plans and shopping plans for their layover in Mumbai. The replacement crew was fine. Very nice people.

Anyway, more to come!

No comments: