You have to leave room in life to Dream.
~Buffy Sainte-Marie

Sunday, March 1, 2009

One of Many

I believe that there are thousands of idiots in the world. On Friday, I joined that number.

For those that read this regularly, you will know that I have had some back issues for the past few weeks. Slowly I have been getting better. Thursday night we got some snow (about 5 inches). After my walk on Friday morning, I decided to be the thoughtful little wife and clear away the snow at the end of our driveway from the snow plow. Not a good idea. At all.

I hadn't done too much when I felt and heard a pop in my lower back. I seriously just wanted to collapse in the snow. But since Ben was still asleep and the neighborhood is pretty quiet until 7, I figured I might be in the snow for a long time. I didn't want to add hypothermia to my list of ailments. So I made goals: Make it to the garage. Get in the house. Get my boots off. Make it to the couch. Wake up Ben.

I have never fainted, but I think I might have been close to that. Several times the room went black. I was nauseous and hot. I finally made it to the couch. Laying down helped, but my muscles kept seizing up. I have never been in so much paid before.

With Zoey's help we woke up Ben (so glad we taught her how to speak). He got me an ice pack and some ibuprofen. He checked to see when urgent care opened. Then we got to go to the clinic. That was a very painful process. Getting in and out of the car brought me to tears. The doctor was very nice. He ordered up x-rays to make sure nothing more serious than a muscle thing was going on. For x-rays I needed to get undressed. Not fun. But thankfully, the x-rays looked good and I was sent on my way with a couple of prescriptions.

I am feeling a ton better. My muscles have stopped spasming randomly. And the pain has diminished greatly. I still have trouble sitting down and standing up.

Through this whole ordeal, Ben has been awesome. I am so incredibly thankful for him. He has been sure to get me everything that I need. He has made sure I am taking my medications on time. He has helped me get to couches. And he has even helped me to get on and off the toilet (that has to be the worse piece of "furniture" to get on and off of with a sore back - it's so low!). He has also been extremely thoughtful on things I hadn't even thought of: he moved my towel to the top rack so I don't have to bend to get it; he moved my shampoo, conditioner and body wash so I can get to them without too much hassle. And the entire time he hasn't complained or even given me a hard time (since it was my fault that I am in this situation in the first place). I honestly don't know what I would have done without him.

2 comments:

Karin - BluePip Designs said...

Ow! So glad to hear you are feeling better. Will you be back at work tomorrow? Jules and I don't have any plans so if you need anything (and if we can gain admittance to the secret Roy lair) give me a call.

Sara said...

I'm sorry your back got that bad! I'm so glad you have Ben to be there for you.