You have to leave room in life to Dream.
~Buffy Sainte-Marie

Monday, March 24, 2014

Another Fun Week

Yesterday Odin and I were talking. I can't remember what I said, but his response was, "Major pain." Oh my goodness that little boy cracks me up!

March 14-19
Friday the 14 was Pi Day. When I was in high school the math team would decorate the math hall doorways with giant Pi's and would sell pie in the cafeteria. I'm always up for random reasons to celebrate, so I try to remember to celebrate my nerdiness with this "holiday." This year it worked perfectly that it was on a Friday. We had pizza and I made a blueberry pie. With the Pi symbol cut into the top crust. Our friend Jason came into town to celebrate with us. OK. Maybe he didn't. But he did come for the weekend.

This weekend was a Summit family weekend. The kids and I sneaked into a few of the events. On Saturday we sat in on a paper airplane demonstration from the current Guinness Book of World Records holder for longest paper airplane launch. Then we played outside in an igloo that Summit had built. We came inside to warm up. After playing in the basement and creating box houses and tunnels, Odin and I got to meet a few owls and a hawk from a bird handler. Adelyn stayed downstairs to play with the Summit girls. Odin thought it was pretty cool to touch an owl. When I came back down, Simone had made a pair of ballet slippers out of duct tape and pipe cleaners for Adelyn. She thought that was very cool. Sunday the kids got their faces painted and we went to a dance class. Adelyn was convinced it was going to be ballet. But it was hip hop. Adelyn was so cute trying to follow along. As soon as the music was put on, she bent over with her booty in the air and shuck it. I was laughing so hard. Good times.

Monday was St. Patrick's Day. I had read somewhere that corned beef and cabbage isn't really traditionally Irish. So, I made boxty (potato pancakes) instead. I tried to make them like Kip's in Minneapolis. So, I topped them with shredded chicken and pepper Jack cheese. It wasn't an exact match, but it was pretty close. We also made cole slaw and Watergate Salad. Not sure how authentic those were, but they were green and yummy.

On Wednesday we invited Haru over for dinner. We also had Mike and Nayri over. We decided to wow! this famous chef with salsa burgers, 7 layer dip, guac and corona. We had a little issue starting up the grill (we didn't have a lighter or matches, so we had to get creative). Other than that, the night was at least a mild success. We had a great evening of table pounding (that's what Haru does when he gets excited) and conversation. He even had two burgers, so I guess they weren't too terrible. I do sort of wish we weren't moving in a week. It would be fun to hang out some more with him. And our other friends here too.

No comments: