You have to leave room in life to Dream.
~Buffy Sainte-Marie

Tuesday, March 18, 2008

Too Short

**WARNING: Drug content**

This weekend a close family to my family lost their son/stepson. I didn't know Shawn all that well as an adult (as kids we played together). I would see him at school functions (his stepsisters go to my brother's school) and other events that were with our families. Since I didn't know him all that well, I had no clue that he got mixed up in drugs. He spent four weeks at rehab and just got out late last week. My mom saw him on Friday and he seemed happy that he was clean and ready to restart his life. On Saturday night, I guess he decided to have one more hit. And it was too much for his heart. He went into cardiac arrest.

According to another family friend who is a coroner, this is very common. He sees a lot of cases where in the 24-48 hours after treatment people go back to drugs and OD. He said it is a result of being clean... while on drugs your body builds up an immunity to it. While going through treatment your body gets cleaned out. If you take a dose that is what you used to take, it is too much for the body to handle.

Please!! If you have a friend that is going through treatment watch out for them. I had no idea the dangers of a relapse.

http://www.legacy.com/StarTribune/Obituaries.asp?Page=LifeStory&PersonId=105906859

No comments: