You have to leave room in life to Dream.
~Buffy Sainte-Marie

Sunday, April 20, 2008

Accepted

Friday afternoon I officially accepted one of the jobs offered to me. (Drum roll please...) I have accepted the original job that I applied for. Unfortunately, it is the one that isn't on the main campus, so my carpool days are numbered. As I told my boss when I let him know I wasn't taking the job he offered me, it was a hard decision. In a lot of ways I wanted to stay at the main campus. But in the end these things tipped the scale:

1. The job I took really did sound more interesting to me.
2. My new boss doesn't expect me to stay long term (she figures 1 1/2 years at most, Tom wanted me to stay for a minimum of two). Based on my experience and that I'm (hopefully!) half way done with my CPA tests, I am still overqualified for either position. Having a boss that has a shorter time frame means that I can move up again sooner.
3. My new boss wasn't a college recruit; she took a low level job to get her foot in the door. For some reason they view their college recruits as more special than others (maybe because of the expense to actually recruit them?). As a result, those of us that aren't recruited aren't automatically put on the "fast track." We have to work a little harder to "prove" ourselves. (At least that's what it seems like in finance). Anyway, since she has gone through the proving thing herself, I figured she would be a great ally to have.

Yesterday I hosted my sister's "personal" shower. There was a total of twelve of us. We had a bunch of yummy food and drinks (if I do say so myself). She got a bunch of cute stuff. The funny thing is that those of us who are already married are like, yeah, you'll wear it once. :) After everyone left, our friends Chuck and Michelle came to visit. We had fun catching up and playing Wii. We are getting together today again so we can see Liam (our godson ~ 9 months old).

Well, I think Zoey and I might go for a run. I haven't told her yet, so she's calmly licking her paws. I know as soon as I start getting my running pants out she'll go crazy, so I'm enjoying the calm before the storm.

2 comments:

Karin - BluePip Designs said...

Congratulations! Sounds like you made a good decision.

Sara said...

Congratulations on the new job! I'm so happy that this chapter in your life is going forward. And thank you for the birthday wishes!