You have to leave room in life to Dream.
~Buffy Sainte-Marie

Monday, December 15, 2008

Startled

Saturday I walked into the fish room to turn the tank lights on. Usually I just walk into the dark room and flip the switch. That day I had taken two or so steps into the room when I heard a very distinctive splash. I quickly flipped on the room lights and went to the back of the tank. Sure enough, Mr. Wrasse had jumped out! I quickly scooped him up and put him back in the tank. He hung around the bottom acting all weird (and rightly so, I mean, he just spent 30 seconds or so on the floor after dropping a few feet). Finally he vanished underneath the sand (that's where he sleeps). I really thought that would be the last time I saw him. I watched for a few minutes and then went upstairs to tell Ben.

An hour or so later, I peeked in and there the wrasse was, swimming around as if nothing had happened! I was so happy! And so far he hasn't shown any effects from his adventure. He is still swimming and eating. Yea!!

I really think I just happened to startle him and that caused him to jump. But since he has had suicidal tendencies before, I decided to try and prevent future near misses. I installed "anti-suicide" barriers along the top of the tank (extra plastic pieces). I'm hoping this will help.

1 comment:

Sara said...

Yay! I'm so happy he's ok. If I ever need someone to help me rescue fish I know who to call.