You have to leave room in life to Dream.
~Buffy Sainte-Marie

Tuesday, December 23, 2008

Getting Older

(No, not me. Although, I guess I am too).

When we first adopted Zoey, without fail she would sleep in to 6:30 at the latest. Sometimes she would go back to bed, but most of the time she was ready to be up. Although I am a morning person, there were many weekend mornings that I was not happy to be getting up. The funny thing was that if it were just Ben and Zoey at home, she would let him sleep in. Anyway, lately, I have noticed that she is pretty content to sleep in too. Don't get me wrong, in the mornings when my alarm goes off, she still is super-hyper waiting for me to get ready for our walk. But on the weekends she will just sleep. I love it, but it also makes me sad that she is getting older. I have always known that I will outlive Zoey, but it makes me sad to see that day creeping up.

Every Christmas for 10 years at least, my Grandma and I have gotten together to make Krumkake. It all started one year when I was invited to a cookie exchange (thanks Amy!!) and I thought it would be fun to bring krumkake. (Not a great cookie to bring to an exchange - they are putsy to make and very delicate, but anyway). Ever since then we get together to make some. Granted, we usually only make a few dozen instead of the dozens of dozens I did the first year. :) I really enjoy the time with my Grandma. It is the most concentrated one-on-one time I get with her throughout the year. The one "bad" thing about having this time with my Grandma is that from year to year I can see how she has aged. Her memory isn't as sharp as it was in years past. Her energy has diminished. It makes me so glad that we have this tradition, but also sad that she too, is getting older. She is 82, so she is getting up there. I think to some degree most people don't "believe" that their loved ones age. I want to live in a place where no one ages...

Turns out this is a rather depressing post in a season of joy. Sorry!

1 comment:

Amy T said...

But one day we will live where no one ages . . .
:o)

I hope you are spending some nice time with Jake!