You have to leave room in life to Dream.
~Buffy Sainte-Marie

Friday, December 5, 2008

Thankful

When I first heard about the tragedy that was unfolding in Mumbai last week my first thought was of my new friends there. Due to the time of the attacks everyone was either already home, or at work. And the attacks happened "far" away from where they typically are. I was so relieved and thankful when I found out that everyone was safe. I won't lie that my second thought was how glad I was that I was safe and sound at home. I would have been "far" away from it too, but too close for comfort, especially for my family here.

It was a really eerie and surreal feeling to watch images of the Taj Hotel in flames show up on the news. I had visited there on my first day there. The hotel was beautiful. And now, it was a place of sorrow.

It saddens me how cruel people can be. It has been repeated again and again across the pages of history. It just happens to be the Muslims this time. But not that long ago it was the crusaders. And even more recently it was the Nazis. Countless examples of how sinful we are.

1 comment:

Sara said...

That's a good take on it. I hadn't thought of that yet.