You have to leave room in life to Dream.
~Buffy Sainte-Marie

Monday, January 19, 2009

Why I don't run in the winter

This morning Zoey and I went for our normal walk. We were rounding a pile of snow when all of a sudden I was on the ground. I somehow managed to slip. Thankfully all my skydiving training kicked in and I did what I am sure was a very graceful PLF (Parachute Landing Fall - let the soft spots absorb the shock). I am sure I will have a nice blue patch on my butt! Zoey was so cute, as soon as she saw me fall she ran over to check on me. Such a good protector. But that just goes to show you that it is unsafe to run with conditions like we have. It could have been much worse if I was moving faster. I know that you can run on treadmills, but I hate treadmills. My normal stride is too long, so I end up shortening my stride which just kind of messes me up.

Speaking of treadmills, I did (grudgingly) use one on the cruise. I decided to start on my resolution to run 100 miles. I wanted to run on deck, but the first day I tried to the running deck was closed due to the wind. So I went inside to the gym. The first day the treadmill and I took some time to get to know each other. It was somewhat broken - it wouldn't register my heart rate. Oh, well. I picked a speed and started running. I thought it was going well until I looked down and saw that in 8 minutes I had run about 1/2 mile. So I continued to increase my speed to try and find the "right" one. The second time I ran, I picked a different machine. This one worked for heart rate. Except it kept getting mad at me because my heart rate was higher than it thought it should be, so it kept decreasing the speed. So, despite my best attempts, those two days I only ran 1.7 miles each day. Third time is a charm... I went to yet a different machine and just picked a manual workout. It was great. I ran at the speed that I wanted to and finally got up to 3 miles (in the same time frame)! I was so excited! So, all in all I ran 6.4 miles on the cruise. Only 93.6 left to go!

Also on the topic of resolutions, last night I made a new recipe: Cabbage Rolls with Vegetables and Bulgar from the Better Homes and Garden Cookbook. I couldn't find Bulgar at the store (anyone know where to find it? I looked in the bulk section, the organic section, rice and beans section and baking section and couldn't find it) so I used white rice instead. It was pretty good. Although since I was using rice instead of Bulgar I had to change the cooking times and I think that resulted in crisper veggies than what was intended. Ben thought that it was tasty. The only problem is that it so low cal (only 173!) so we were both pretty hungry around 9.

1 comment:

Amy T said...

Yikes! How the weather gets more cooperative soon.
Bulgar . . . maybe call a health food store? Whole Foods? At a regular grocery store, I would've checked everywhere you did, and been just as stymied. The cabbage rolls sound delicious, anyways!